Pelosi predicts vote on Biden $1.9T rescue plan next week - New York Post posted at 09:05:03 UTC
- Pelosi predicts vote on Biden $1.9T rescue plan next week New York Post
- House Democrats plan to push Biden's Covid relief plan through the chamber next week CNN
- New $1,400 stimulus checks could be coming. What we know about how soon they may arrive CNBC
- How the minimum wage will hold workers back in the labor market | TheHill The Hill
- Op-ed: An easy win for Biden — don't send stimulus checks to dead people CNBC
- View Full Coverage on Google News
"We must get to the truth of how this happened," Pelosi said.
February 16, 2021, 5:59 AM
• 6 min read
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., announced Monday that Congress will move to establish an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, similar to the one set up in the wake of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
"Now, as always, security is the order of the day: the security of our country, the security of our Capitol which is the temple of our democracy, and the security of our Members," Pelosi said in a letter to her Democratic colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives.
The events of Jan. 6 occurred after then-President Donald Trump and his allies held a rally earlier that day in Washington, D.C., urging Congress not to certify the results of the November presidential election, in which Trump lost to Democratic candidate Joe Biden. Trump vowed to "never concede" and urged his supporters "to fight," as he continued to push baseless claims of election fraud.
Crowds of people then made their way to the Capitol steps, pushing through barricades, officers in riot gear and other security measures that were put in place in anticipation of the protest. An angry mob breached the Capitol building, forcing a lockdown with members of Congress and their staff holed up inside. It took hours for law enforcement to clear the building and establish a perimeter around the area. Five people, including a police officer, died during the rampage.
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, with House impeachment managers, speaks to the press afte...Read MoreRead More
Retired Lt. Gen. Russel Honore was appointed to examine security on Capitol Hill following the insurrection. Meanwhile, the Senate acquitted Trump on Saturday in his second impeachment trial on a charge of inciting the Capitol rioters.
"For the past few weeks, General Honore has been assessing our security needs by reviewing what happened on January 6 and how we must ensure that it does not happen again," Pelosi said in her letter. "He has been working with Committees of Jurisdiction and will continue to make proposals."
"It is clear from his findings and from the impeachment trial that we must get to the truth of how this happened," she continued. "To protect our security, our security, our security, our next step will be to establish an outside, independent 9/11-type Commission to 'investigate and report on the facts and causes relating to the January 6, 2021 domestic terrorist attack upon the United States Capitol Complex… and relating to the interference with the peaceful transfer of power, including facts and causes relating to the preparedness and response of the United States Capitol Police and other Federal, State, and local law enforcement in the National Capitol Region.'"
Supporters of President Donald Trump protest outside the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, 2021.
The so-called 9/11 Commission was convened by congressional legislation that was signed into law by then-President George W. Bush in November 2002. After a 20-month-long investigation into the circumstances surrounding the terrorist attacks and how to prevent a similar attack, the bipartisan panel concluded in its final report that U.S. government intelligence agencies had failed to adequately assess the threat posed by al-Qaeda, among other things.
A growing number of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have called for a bipartisan, independent commission to investigate the Capitol siege. Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., who crossed party lines and voted alongside six other Republicans to convict Trump, told ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos in an interview Sunday on "This Week" that he supports a full investigation into the events of Jan. 6. In interviews following Cassidy, House impeachment manager Rep. Madeleine Dean, D-Pa., and Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., said they would support the creation of a 9/11 Commission-style independent inquiry into the Capitol siege.
In her letter, Pelosi said Congress must also allocate additional funding "to provide for the safety of Members and the security of the Capitol."
"We will be forever grateful to the Capitol Police for their life-saving courage and heroism in securing the Capitol and protecting Members," she said.
ABC News' Katherine Faulders contributed to this report.
- White House unveils Biden's immigration bill, including an eight-year path to citizenship USA TODAY
- White House announces sweeping immigration bill CNN
- ‘Recipe for disaster’: Dem fears mount over immigration overhaul POLITICO
- Op-Ed: Think of Biden's immigration plan as a statute of limitations on crossing the border illegally Los Angeles Times
- Biden's dangerous border policy | TheHill The Hill
- View Full Coverage on Google News
- Rolling Power Cuts Coming to an End, Oncor Says, But Outages Continue Due to Damage NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
- Texas' Underregulated Energy Grid Responsible For Millions Without Heat, Electricity | NBC News NOW NBC News
- AOC rips Texas governor for blaming storm outages on Green New Deal Business Insider
- Texas Republicans lied about the power crisis. We need more investment in renewables — not less. The Washington Post
- Letters to the Editor — Readers share their complaints about the failure of Texas’ power grid to handle The Dallas Morning News
- View Full Coverage on Google News
"Ukraine" - Google News
Neither traveler from Louisiana had a valid pre-test or a Covid-19 exemption as part of the state’s Safe Travels Hawai'i program, authorities said.
The conservative radio host will be remembered for a few enduring insults, a shameful history of bullying and making it OK to hate your neighbor.
Researchers say a longer follow-up is required to understand the effect of one shot to inform second dose delay policy.
|Michael_Novakhov shared this story from The News And Times.|
|Michael_Novakhov shared this story .|
WASHINGTON — Two weeks after President Biden’s inauguration, France’s president, Emmanuel Macron, spoke publicly about the importance of dialogue with Moscow, saying that Russia is a part of Europe that cannot simply be shunned and that Europe must be strong enough to defend its own interests.
On Dec. 30, just weeks before the inauguration, the European Union clinched an important investment agreement with China, days after a tweet by Mr. Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, asking for “early consultations” with Europe on China and seeming to caution against a quick deal.
Doctors say research answers if first booster can be delayed, one of the most burning vaccine questions internationally; doesn’t prove how long impact of 1st dose alone will last
Alerta de Google: fbi